Tuesday, February 25, 2020

A small thing...

Many years ago while on a flight to Columbus, Ohio, I noticed a man in my row reading the Bible. As I used to travel quite a bit, I would always find it encouraging to see others reading Christian literature - especially the Bible. Many times, I would try to strike up a conversation with these individuals. However, I remember that as I watched this particular person, it struck me that he seemed very distant and almost unapproachable. His body language and the permanent scoul on his face made me wonder about my own demeanor.

I never did manage to speak with the gentleman, so I do not know context of his situation. Perhaps he was going through a very tough ordeal and looking for encouragement or comfort in his reading.

The experience made me ponder about how others see me. Granted, we all have those days when things are not going well - but it's tough to be a "light in the darkness" if we can't show a bit of joy in even the mundane.

It may seem like a small thing...but I for one believe that a smile can be very powerful. It has the ability to welcome others into conversation, and it can even help lift one's own spirits. My thought for the day..."put on a smile, and see what happens."

No comments: