Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Large is the new small...

I posted this quite a few years ago, but it still rings true today.

A former co-worker and I had met up for lunch and as most days, I wanted to keep it fast and simple, so we opted for Wendy's (I must admit, I'm addicted to their chili). Usually, when I eat at these places, I go through the drive-thru and only get a sandwich or chili and bring it back to work. That day, however, we decided to eat in. Because we were taking a little time, I also ordered a salad and drink. When asked what size of drink, I immediately answered "medium" - as I thought a small would be....well, not enough fizzy beverage to satisfy my thirst.

To my utter astonishment, the woman behind the counter proceeded to dispense about a half gallon of diet pepsi into a cup about the size of a barrel and put it on my tray. I could barely lift the tray. Equally amazing was the fact that my friend, who ordered a small drink, received what appeared to be a large, in my opinion. At least that's the size I remember it being when I was younger.

I can't help but wonder when America made the decision that a medium soft drink at a fast food restaurant needed to be the size of a super big gulp (remember those from the 7-eleven days). I believe they were called Super Big Gulps for a reason.....nobody could finish them without feeling bloated.

Needless to say, I finished the soft drink, but you can bet I'll be previewing the cup sizes before I order next time. I cringe to think what would have happened had I ordered the large.....I'd probably still be sitting in the restaurant sipping on that beverage. If I can offer a bit of wisdom - order the small.

No comments: