Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Getting the right perspective...

Perception is reality. Think about it. Although I believe that truth is absolute, especially as it relates to my faith and core beliefs, it seems to me that one's perception of a truth, or a situation, defines that person's reality.

There's an older movie that I watched a few years back called Vantage Point. I believe the movie's premise illustrates my point. The characters of the movie all witness the same event, but from different "vantage points." Because of their differing perspectives and perceptions of what has taken place, each character's reality of the situation is a bit different.

I know this truism also plays a role in my life. As I perceive different situations at home and in the workplace, I'm sure that I react according to the reality I've created. But what if my reality is not shared by others involved, what then? I submit that this is how many misunderstandings and conflicts get started. How then, can one be better equipped to handle such situations?

Getting the proper perspective is essential, both in life and in specific situations. If our perception is indeed our reality, it would follow that we should take great measures to insure that our perspective is accurate. The old adage of putting yourself in someone else's shoes, or looking at the issue through their eyes holds true. We could all benefit by Dr. Stephen Covey's fifth habit of "Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood."

If our 'vantage point' was different, would we react in the same manner...?

No comments: